My day usually begins with my five-year old’s SWAT team entrance into my bedroom at 6:02 AM. Really though, it’s like he is kicking down doors and low crawling all the way over to my side of the bed on a daily basis. Then he says, “Mommy, it’s good morning time”.
That, my friends, is how I start my day.
I am so grateful that my older kiddos are self-sufficient and able to appreciate that mom has set her own alarm clock and they can get ready for school without my help. I know when my baby is older, I will miss the days of being needed. Well, maybe I will. For now, I still make his breakfast every day, help him get ready for school, nag my older ones a zillion times to brush their teeth and comb their hair, and get everyone ready and out the door for school before heading to the gym. If I am lucky, I have time to make a quick breakfast but there are many days when I grab a banana and my BCAA’s and out the door I go. These are also great for my husband to take to work with him in the morning.
Prep and Go!
Knowing this month is going to be the busiest one yet for my family, I decided to prep a few jars of overnight oats, this time adding my bestie, collagen peptides, to the mix.
This recipe is so simple and literally takes 5 minutes to prep. I portion out 4 individual servings (1/2 cup) into mason jars and leave them to soak overnight in the refrigerator.
Then after the SWAT team (Tyler) kicks my door down tomorrow morning, I can grab my oats from the refrigerator, top with extra almond butter, banana slices, and a teaspoon of chia seed granola and I’m good to go! I may even be able to eat breakfast with everyone else instead of scarfing down a banana in the gym parking lot. That is almost as good as being able to drink my coffee in the morning while it’s still hot!
- 2 cups milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (plus more for serving, if desired)
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins collagen peptides
- 2 bananas, sliced
- granola (if desired)
- In a large bowl, combine milk, chia seeds, honey, and 2 tablespoons almond butter.
- Stir in oats and collagen peptides. Mix well.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of mixture to individual mason jars. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Add an optional dallop of almond butter if desired, then top oats with banana slices.
- Sprinkle with granola or drizzle with extra honey.
- Depending on your preferred oatmeal consistency, you may need to adjust the amount of milk used.