Collagen peptides save the day again!
I am a huge fan of Vital Proteins collagen peptides. I add it to everything, oatmeal, smoothies, coffee, you name it. The one I normally use is flavorless so its easily incorporated into basically almost anything.
When I found out there was a dark chocolate (& blackberry) flavored collagen peptides powder on the market, I HAD to have it. I tend to be a bit chocolate obsessed at times. I always add collagen to my morning coffee so I thought this would be my version of a cafe mocha, only with a good amount of protein! Aside from adding it to my coffee, I felt like my options may be limited to what else I would be able to use it for since it is not flavorless like the other one I buy.
That is no longer a problem. Yesterday, I channeled my inner Betty Crocker and got to work on testing baking recipes that would not only satisfy my chocolate cravings but also would be a great option for breakfast on-the-go or a quick post-workout snack.
Let me introduce you to Dark Chocolate Blackberry Protein Muffins!
They are what dreams are made of. Ok, maybe a bit dramatic but they definitely hit the spot. They even passed the test of my biggest food critics, my children. I can’t wait to try more recipes using this flavor!
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins dark chocolate & blackberry collagen peptides
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup halved blackberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Grease a small muffin pan or line with muffin liners.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean
- You do have the option to use different types of flour (coconut, almond, etc) but you will likely have to alter the amount used based on the type you use.