Snacking made easy
I love easy snacks. Who doesn’t, right? I also love snacks that serve a purpose, and that is why I am going to share these amazing no-bake energy bites! They are perfect for a pick-me-up snack and even more perfect for a post-workout snack.
Whenever I get the ingredients together to make these, you should see the immediate huddle that forms around the kitchen counter. Everyone stands around drooling while I am prepping them.
The original recipe doesn’t include added protein powder but is obviously still delicious. Like I mentioned before, I like foods that serve a purpose, in this case, a dual purpose: give me some energy and give me some extra protein. So I decided to add a few scoops of collagen peptides. These energy bites are perfect for a nice recovery snack after a tough workout!
The best part about these snacks is that they are NO-BAKE! They take less than 20 minutes from start to finish and its really easy to finish an entire batch in one day…or so I have been told. HA!
Let’s get started
First, gather all your ingredients and shoo away all the energy bite groupies that have gathered around you.
Next, you need to make a decision regarding the oats and coconut. Toasting the oats and coconuts are completely optional, but in my opinion, they taste better toasted. You can try both ways and then not only will you have 60 energy bites, but you can be the judge for yourself!
Preheat your oven to 350 F (if you decided to take my advice and toast the oats and coconut) and spread the oats on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through and adding coconut at the 5-minute mark.
Once the oats and coconut are done, stir together the first seven ingredients, all the way through the chia seeds (see recipe below). In a separate bowl stir together the remaining ingredients.
Next, stir the almond butter mixture into the oats mixture until combined. If they are really sticky still, you can put the mixture in the refrigerator for five minutes prior to shaping them into 1-inch balls.
Finally, layer the oat bites between wax paper in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week. A serving size is 2 energy bites.
- 1 1/4 cups regular rolled oats, toasted (tip below)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted (tip below)
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 scoops collagen peptides (I use Vital Proteins), or substitute 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup snipped/ chopped dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- In a medium bowl mix together the first 7 ingredients (through chia seeds).
- In a small bowl stir together remaining ingredients.
- Stir almond butter mixture into oat mixture until combined.
- Shape into 1-inch balls
- MAKES 30 ENERGY BITES
- To toast oats and coconut, preheat oven to 350 F. Spread oats onto a baking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes or until light brown, stirring twice and adding coconut the last 5-10 minutes.
- Layer oat bites between wax paper in an airtight container. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.