If you know me well, you will know that I regularly become a fangirl over any new kitchen gadget I feel I can’t live without. Then I buy it, use it for two weeks straight, and move on to the next big thing!
Well, I have had mine, (this is the spiralizer I use and LOVE), for about nine months and it is absolutely one of my hands down, must-have, favorite kitchen tools! I even named mine…Spinderella, (don’t judge). This thing will not be collecting dust in my kitchen cabinet any time soon. In fact, she might as well claim a spot on my kitchen counter because that is how much I love this thing!
Now I can enjoy delicious pasta dishes using vegetables instead of pasta! It is an easy and fun way to put a healthy and creative spin on the popular dishes you love!
No vegetable is safe from my spiralizer. Some of my go-to faves include zucchini, butternut squash, and carrots. I have also spiralized apples and pears and they are also faves!
My little nugget, Tyler, loves to help me crank the handle and turn a boring vegetable into a spiralized masterpiece. (We are still working on him loving the final product as much as I do).
In my quest to satisfy my growing obsession with spiralizing anything and everything, I came across one of my new favorite blogs, Inspiralized, and let me tell you, they have taken my fangirling to a whole new level!
So without further adieu, here is an Inspiralized recipe that is in regular rotation at my house:
Butternut Squash Noodles with Shredded Brussels Sprouts,
Walnuts, and Carmelized Onions
Recipe by: Inspiralized
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
For the noodles:
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, Blade C
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the rest of the recipe:
- ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 cup of brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional: ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet, spread out the butternut squash noodle and drizzle with olive oil and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Line another baking sheet with parchment paper and place the walnuts on it. Bake the walnuts for 5 minutes alongside the noodles, which will be baked for 8-10 minutes or until al dente. Be sure to toss the noodles halfway through.
- While the butternut squash and walnuts are in the oven, shred the brussels sprouts. Chop the bottom part off and peel the outer leaves. Slice them in half and then slice thinly, lengthwise. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is simmering, add in the garlic, red pepper flakes and onion and lower heat to medium-low and cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and mainly wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook the brussels sprouts, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, or until lightly browned and cooked (about 3-5 minutes). Remove skillet from heat and add in the parmesan, and then fold in the walnuts, stir, and pour into a large mixing bowl along with the butternut squash noodles.
- Toss to combine and serve.
**Note: I will often toss in grilled chicken with this recipe for added protein.
My kids love it, and I usually double the recipe because I could seriously eat this everyday for a month if it lasted that long! So, thank you so much, Inspiralized for the delicious recipe and for continuing to feed and encourage my erratic fangirl obsession with spiralizing veggies! I hope you also enjoy this delicious Try-it Tuesday spotlighted recipe!